Foreign Citizen Processing

Foreign Citizenship Processing

These procedures apply to all foreign nationals coming to the lab whether they are on payroll or not (visiting scholars). CBL is responsible for obtaining proper documentation for all foreign individuals operating on campus.

I. Preliminary information should be collected from the potential employee regarding foreign status and provided to the AD for verification and confirmation of acceptable status for the position. No job offers can be made to foreign nationals without first consulting the AD.

II. Foreign Citizenship processing must be complete on any candidates arriving on an H1-B, J-1, F-1, F-1OPT visa. Once the position has been accepted, citizenship paperwork must originate either at CBL by the AD, depending on the type of VISA, at Center Administration by the HRD. Due to the extensive changes taking place in processing foreign applicants, faculty should provide as much information as early as possible to ensure that a potential employee can be processed in the appropriate time frame. Faculty should notify the HRC before an offer is made to a candidate to ensure that all foreign guidelines are met.

a. If the employee is foreign, confirm with the CA HRD whether F-1, J-1 or H-1B status paperwork is assigned. Foreign employees will be entered into PHR with a temporary social security number. Once the employee has received a social security card, a copy must be sent to the CA HRD to update PHR. F1 visas for students will be processed by UMCP.

III. UMCES has launched a new system for processing all foreign nationals either employed or volunteering on campus. Each new employee/visitor will receive an email from Cara Diggs (College Park) with an ID and password that will allow individuals to set up their account in Glacier and will provide a summary and list of documents that must be returned to HRC. Any questions regarding this processing can be directed to the Business Office.